Joy Luck Club, The (page 3 of 11)

The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here, Irene Ng (as Lindo) on her wedding day. From the book, section: Feathers From a Thousand LI Away, chapter: The Red Candle, Lindo Jong remembers, ‘I had on a beautiful red dress, but what I saw was even more valuable. I was strong. I was pure. (…) / And then I draped the large embroidered red scarf over my face and covered these thoughts up. But underneath the scarf I still knew who I was. I made a promise to myself: I would always remember my parents' wishes, but I would never forget myself.’ Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.


The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here, Meijuan Xi (as Lindo's Mother). Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.


The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here, Irene Ng (as Lindo - Age 15). From the book, section: Feathers From a Thousand LI Away, chapter: The Red Candle, Lindo Jong remembers, ‘I was actually a very obedient child, but sometimes I had a sour look on my face-only because I was hot or tired or very ill. This is when my mother would say, "Such an ugly face. The Huangs won't want you and our whole family will be disgraced." ’ Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.


The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here from left, Meijuan Xi (as Lindo's Mother) and Irene Ng (as Lindo - Age 15). Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.


The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here from left, Meijuan Xi (as Lindo's Mother) and Ying Wu (as Lindo Jong - Age 4). From the book, section: Feathers From a Thousand LI Away, chapter: The Red Candle, Lindo Jong recalls, ‘Because I was promised to the Huangs' son for marriage, my own family began treating me as if I belonged to somebody else. My mother would say to me when the rice bowl went up to my face too many times, "Look how much Huang Taitai's daughter can eat." ’ Estimated year depicted: 1924. Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.


The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here from left, Guo-Rong Chin (as Huang Taitai, alt.: Huang Tai Tai) and Hsu Ying Li (as Matchmaker). Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.


The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here from left, Meijuan Xi (as Lindo's Mother), Guo-Rong Chin (as Huang Taitai, alt.: Huang Tai Tai) and Hsu Ying Li (as Matchmaker). From the book, section: Feathers From a Thousand LI Away, chapter: The Red Candle, from Lindo Jong’s own experience. ‘Of course, now I know the tree-trunk lady was the old village matchmaker, and the other was Huang Taitai, the mother of the boy I would be forced to marry.’ Estimated year depicted: 1924. Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.


The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here, Ying Wu (as Lindo Jong - Age 4). From the book, section: Feathers From a Thousand LI Away, chapter: The Red Candle, from Lindo Jong’s own experience. ‘No, it's not true what some Chinese say about girl babies being worthless. It depends on what kind of girl baby you are. In my case, people could see my value. I looked and smelled like a precious buncake, sweet with a good clean color.’ Estimated year: 1924. Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.


The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here, Ming-Na Wen (as June Woo, alt: Jing-mei Woo). Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.


The movie "The Joy Luck Club", based upon the novel by Amy Tan, directed by Wayne Wang. Seen here, Tsai Chin (as Auntie Lindo Jong, alt.: Auntie Lin). Limited theatrical release September 10, 1993. Screen capture. Copyright © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. Credit: © 1993 Buena Vista Pictures / Courtesy: Pyxurz.